Expectations.
They're a total minefield.
We all have expectations for how other people should act, the things they should say, the way they should look ... and we have expectations for ourselves, too.
It's one reason why I don't own jeans -- I have expectations for how a journalist should dress. (However, given that I'm not a journalist on the weekend, I'm giving some serious thought to lowering my wardrobe expectations for the two days a week that at home.)
The same goes for when a writer posts a story -- we expect that our hard work will be applauded, not criticized or ignored. And the more we write, and the more entrenched we become, the more we come to expect that we'll be lauded. And it's a really dangerous position to be in. Case in point: I was disheartened by the lack of initial feedback for Chapter 16 of "This Ain't a Love Song," especially since I about killed myself finishing it.
Anyway, back to the point. When our expectations aren't met, we're disappointed -- both with the people who failed us, and with ourselves for having those expectations to begin with.
For example, we expect our friends to be there for us in good times and bad. We don't expect them to basically cast us aside like a piece of trash when we're going through a hard time. If you're going to throw confetti and be over the moon for us when, for example, we announce that we're pregnant, you shouldn't be too surprised when your total 180-degree turn when we, say, lose the baby, may, you know, be noticed, and in turn, pisses us off.
I'm sorry if people are uncomfortable with the things I have been through in the last year. I really am. But this is my life. And to go from "I'm so lucky to have friends like you" to absolute silence -- it's kind of baffling. And the irony is, ever since she basically told me I'm a fertility failure, I haven't really been talking to my "friend," anyway, but, as petty as it sounds, it's kind of like, "where do you get off acting like you don't want to talk to me -- I don't want to talk to you!"
And really, I shouldn't care. There's a good 80 percent of me that doesn't care at this point. But the other 20 percent can't help but think, does my having had a miscarriage really make me that big a pile of broken glass that people would rather just walk around it than acknowledge that it actually can be put back together?
I guess, in this case, that my expectations were a little too high.
And along the same lines, when we spend a lot of time helping plan an event, expectations are borne of how it will turn out -- and how our hard work will be perceived. So when we're labeled as the bad guy, it's kind of like being sneaked up on and waterboarded. Some of you know what I am talking about here, and while I really don't want to get into it, I'm still pretty hungover from drinking Tang -- and it's been a month.
I am beyond tired of being the fall guy for what happened in L.A. It was my vacation. And I'm not spending my vacation sitting in a room watching a TV show I could watch at home for free. I'm not spending my vacation driving 40-something miles to see a beach that is inferior to anywhere I've been in Hawaii, when I could see Rodeo Drive. And I don't want to eat dinner at the hotel when I'm in one of the coolest food cities in the world. Where else are you going to have organic sweet-potato fries, or $7 ramen that you have to wait 90 minutes to get a table for?
I had a great time on my vacation. I don't regret anything about it -- except having set such unrealistic expectations about what was going to happen. But I didn't know any better. And for that reason, I am not going to feel guilty about going against the status quo and defying other people's expectations. I've spent the last month fighting the impulse to feel bad. If someone wants to nail me to the cross, they're going to have to make room for the other six people who were right there with me, and quite frankly, I don't think Home Depot sells a strong enough piece of wood.
And furthermore, I had expectations, too. I still do -- but I am going to have to alter them if I don't want to go crazy.
I'm tired of drama.
I really, really am. So here I am, saying my piece, and now I can go back to being zen.
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Expectations. Yeah, we all have expectations and, sometimes, they lead us to disappointment.
ReplyDeleteWe all have friends, people we think who are our friends, and when comes a hard time, we discover who we can really count on. It's hard because when you are through a hard time you need to be cheered not to realize that you're more alone that what you are. It's hard, really. But once the clouds let the sun shine again, you are stronger. Maybe more alone but stronger and closer to the friends who helped you.
Expectations... you don't always need to be in a bad time to be disappointed. Sometimes the disappointment comes from the high idea you had of something (here, let's say an event in LA). When nothing happens the way you imagined it, it's really difficult. I didn't come to Laff but, by what I heard, I'm glad that I didn't. Hard to say, sad to say but it's just what I'm thinking right now. As I said many times before, I think a fandom is a place where to share a common passion and not a war field. Well, I guess I'm wrong.
All of that to say that I totally understand what you mean. Maybe if you would have been a good little laff soldier you wouldn't have had any drama in LA. Keep silent and everything will be good, you know the song and we all know where it can lead.
Yeah, we all have expectations and it's really hard to see that we were wrong. But (because there's always a but) expectations also can create this wonderful of "I was right". It's a feeling I don't feel so often but when it comes it's just great. What I want to say is I can see why you're so fed up with everything but don't forget everyone has expectations and everyone can be hurt.
I want to say that I'm with you and to tell you that, in spite of everything, it's good to have a high level of expectations.
pink is not made for mediocrity.
I hope you see what I mean.
Hugs at you.
I think you need a hug... *huge hugs*
ReplyDeleteI feel a little horrified that someone who was your friend wouldn't support you in your time of greatest need. Every friend that crosses your path will always leave some impact on you.
I want to share with you some wise words that were once passed to me when I was in need (I don't know who the original author was):
There are friends who pass like ships in the night,
Who meet for a moment, then sail out of sight,
With never a backwards glance of regret,
Friend we know briefly, then quickly forget.
There are other friends, who sail together,
Through quiet waters and stormy weather,
Helping each other through joy and through strife,
And they are the kind who give meaning to life.
Friends forever, right from the start,
Caring, sharing, true from the heart.
You are one of those friends who sail with me... I hope I am one who also sails with you...
And as for LA... I think you and your 6 co-conspirators had a better LAFF than those who sat around rotting slowly on their own bitterness. From the several descriptions of LAFF I have now heard, I am glad i wasn't able to go... sitting around in a hotel with such a vibrant city existing out the door is not my idea of fun. You gave your time and energy.. only to be treated like scum... I think someone needs to apologise to YOU, but of course, when that happens, pigs will fly.
You did nothing wrong.
Tang is what they force the residents of old folks homes to drink to keep them conscious... right?