Friday, July 9, 2010

A New Blog Has Come ...

What do you say to taking chances? What do you say to jumping off the edge? Never knowing if there's solid ground below, a hand to hold, or hell to pay. What do you say, what do you say?
-- "Taking Chances," Celine Dion


Welcome to my new home.

Bookmark it, blogroll it -- and, I hope, read it!

Today marks the end of Day 5 of my weeklong sabbatical from social media. I haven't been on Facebook or talking to anyone on Google Talk since Sunday. (OK, with two exceptions -- one was Chris, and the other was an oh-so-important discussion of the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale catalog with Christy.) Anyway, it has been nice to take a step away from other people's drama, from feeling hot and forgotten down here in the Dirty South, from spending hours playing around online when I have things to do.

I am caught up on laundry. I cleaned out and organized my refrigerator. I picked out tile and have been supervising the renovation of our bathroom. And, shockingly, I had time to write. And boy, did I ever.

Not only did I start my novel, which just may have a working title now, but I also wrote and posted "Speechless In Seattle," my first "Lois & Clark" gfic story since 2008. It was nearly 3 a.m. as I shakily clicked submit, but the sense of accomplishment won out over fatigue and nerves about whether I had lost my mojo.

And, most importantly, I have launched my new blog. I had been pondering a change for about a month, and finally am taking the leap. The thing is, The Daily Pinky was mainly about me and my path to self-discovery in the face of deadlines, drama, infertility, unemployment and other challenges.

But it's not just about me anymore.

I don't want to become one of those moms who only writes about her child and every little thing he does, but Collin is a big part of the story. He's arguably the main character now, as told through the eyes of the mom formerly known as Pinky. But I brought my old posts with me -- if for nothing else but to document the journey I have taken to get here.

And, in my quest to always be complex, both the title and URL have dual meanings.

"Taking Chances" is not only a play on our last name, but it's also the title of one of my favorite Celine Dion songs. And it's largely the summation of my life now -- the risks, the payoffs, the failures that go along with taking chances.

And "chancesthree" (threechances was taken) not only embodies our family -- me, Chris and Collin -- but it also plays into "The Story Of Us" series I have been writing about our relationship. Some people get a second chance at happiness. We got three -- and lived happily ever after.

That doesn't mean there isn't a little pink left in me, though; only that being Lois Lane is just one element of the story now. Just look at the fabulous blog-header art that my godmother made me. In that little red wagon is Collin -- and a stack of newspapers.

As for the woman in the pink dress, she's taking chances.

And maybe, just maybe, writing the next part of her story.

5 comments: