Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A little pink bucket …

So, I lost my gallbladder -- but I gained some perspective.

Hearing that I could have died had it ruptured shook me to the core. I had a hard time believing that my time on Earth could have been over after a mere (almost) 28 years. After all, I have so much life left to live, so many things to accomplish, so many places to see and people to meet.

Shortly after, a poll of sorts went up on my Bump board asking about goals and dreams -- a bucket list of things you hope to accomplish before you die. And it got me thinking.

So, while this isn't absolutely everything I want to do in my lifetime by a longshot, these are some of my goals. Many of them likely won't make any sense to anyone but me, but I wanted to write them out -- and, just maybe, chronicle each item as I accomplish it.

A girl can dream, right?

* Meet Teri Hatcher -- Last year, I heard Teri say in an interview that she hates when people come up to her and say they became journalists because of "Lois and Clark," and yet I still want to meet her. After all, Lois Lane is my lifelong hero, and it's impossible for the line to not be blurred in some areas, and therefore, Teri has had a definite influence on me, too. Ironically, when I met Dean Cain in 2008, he seemed thrilled that I became a journalist because of the show. It may annoy her, but if I had the opportunity to, I'd at least like to thank Teri.

* See the Cougars play in a bowl game -- The way they have played the last few seasons, it seems highly unlikely that my grandchildren will see this happen, but I would love to see Washington State play in a bowl. I covered their last 10-win season, in 2003, but didn't get to go to San Diego to see the Cougs defeat Texas in the Holiday Bowl. I can't imagine it being anything but the ultimate Cougar experience to roar with a sea of crimson and gray as our beloved team battles it out in the postseason.

* Do the Susan G. Komen Run -- I have been saying I wanted to do this for the last four years, and something always gets in the way -- weddings, pregnancy, etc. I would love to don a pink shirt and hit the pavement and at least do the 5K walk. Raising money for breast cancer is such a worthy cause -- and survivors like my mom deserve to be honored. Considering it's an immediate goal to get in better shape, I just may aim for the 2011 run.

* Visit Paris -- Four-years of high-school French have to be good for something, even if it's been a decade since I answered "ici" during roll call. I have always loved the beauty of the French language, and would love to hear it spoken in the city of love. And I have always found the idea of seeing the Eiffel Tower in person completely enchanting. Just no escargots, s'il vous plait.

* Own a pair of badass heels -- Who am I kidding? Since pregnancy, I can barely walk in any of the ones I have, and none of them are higher than three and a half inches. Seriously, every time I have been to Nordstrom in the last 18 months, it's been to buy flats. And yet I have a longstanding desire to own a pair of Manolo Blahniks or Jimmy Choos. Blame Carrie Bradshaw. Considering I'm currently a stay-at-home mom (hence being out of walking practice), I have no idea where I would wear them, but I love the idea of owning something so opulent.

* Learn to cook something Indian -- I'm not exactly the prime example of an Indian person -- as evidenced by my blank stare and reply of "I'll have the shai paneer, medium," when people try to speak to me in my "native tongue" in Indian restaurants -- but I do think it would be cool to know how to cook something from my homeland. I made naan for my sixth-grade report on India, but I don't think that counts since I wasn't allowed to use the oven alone and my mom ended up baking it. Having paneer in my kitchen could be dangerous, though. It's not a midnight snack if it's already lunchtime in India, right?

* Meet Celine Dion -- If Lois Lane is my hero, Celine -- or more specifically, her music -- has played the role of my conscience many times, and in many ways, over the years. The words of her songs brought me comfort during my darkest hours following my miscarriage, and I find her spirit and perseverance in the face of her own fertility problems a real inspiration. I have seen her in concert twice, and both times were absolutely amazing. I know some of my friends would mock me for saying this, but I want to meet her more than any other celebrity -- including Ms. Lane herself -- and that's saying something.

* Read at least one book a month -- I learned to read when I was two and a half, and have spent most of my life with a book in tow. I am probably the only person in history to be banned from the school library and forced to socialize with their peers. (Third grade seriously sucked.) Books have been some of my best companions over the years, and, even with my super-speed reading skills, I haven't had the luxury of losing myself in literature too often since becoming a mother. However, I was able to read two books in the last week, and I felt incredibly fulfilled.

* Write a book -- Speaking of reading, it is a lifelong ambition of mine to become a published author. Writing L&C fanfic has been a great experience and, largely, served as therapy during my infertility struggle. Just winning fanfic awards has been a thrill, and I can't imagine how it would feel to walk into Borders and see my name on the cover of a book. I'm not saying it will happen for sure, but the more chick-lit I skim the back covers of and roll my eyes at, I have a hard time denying that I could write something better. And I'll admit that I have had an idea rolling around in my head for a couple of years now. The main characters even have names. I just need to work up the nerve to write it. I hate failing -- but at the same time, this could be my greatest professional achievement.

And finally ...

* Actually get caught up on my blog -- Um, yeah. Time for bed.

2 comments:

  1. I am so grateful that they caught your gallbladder in time, we need Jenn! Love the bucket list and I can totally picture you as a published author, you are such a gifted writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great bucket list Twin! You can totally achieve all of those. Start on your book now!!! This is me laying down the law. :-)

    Oh yeah, and you should add to the list (to go along w/ the cook Indian food), improve your Indian accent... ya, do you want some curry?' Muwah! ;-)

    ReplyDelete