Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cheesecake in paradise ...

I often reference a favorite quote of mine -- the one that talks about how once you choose a road, you can't go back, so there's no sense in regretting. And while there are some things I most definitely regret about my involvement with the Lois & Clark fandom (see: Schramm, Sue; Tang; Williams, Holly; #lanekent; Burbank Holiday Inn), one thing I have never regretted is my initial foray into IRC one rainy night back in April 2007.

In the middle of all of that crazy, I met some of my closest friends. And while they live in all corners of the Earth -- from exotic Hong Kong to, uh, exotic Kansas, these women have become my sounding board, my entertainment and at times, my conscience.

And I credit that night back in 2007 for what, more than two years later, birthed the great idea to pack up my 4-month-old and take him to Florida this fall. Collin had never been on a plane, so why not take him as far away as we could possibly go without leaving the country -- and alone, no less? I am pretty sure that my entire family and anyone who has ever flown with a child thought I was suffering from some form of postpartum insanity, but I was going on vacation, come hell or swamp water.

Known to everyone else as Lauren, my dear (hanging) Chad, was one of the first people I ever talked to on IRC. She says I was talking about making quesadillas for a work party on her first night in there, which sounds about right. (She probably remembers this because they are one of the few things she will eat without complaint.) The things we had in common -- being two Republican women of the same age who looooved L&C -- far outweighed our differences -- i.e. her love of Anne of Green Gables and pirates and my passion for exotic foods and nfic -- made us fast friends.

Lauren is the first person I told when Collin was born. She's THAT important, and she'll tell you as much. ;) So I really, really wanted my son to meet his Auntie Chad. And uh, yeah, the fact that she lives in a warm climate didn't hurt, either.

So, on Oct. 4, away we went on our 6-day vacation. (See how far behind I am!?) The last thing Chris said to me as I rolled my stroller down the jetway with Collin strapped into the Baby Bjorn was a highly amused, "Good luck!" And as I settled into my seat, I asked myself: Am I crazy?!? Not to be going to see Lauren, since we had already met twice (in L.A. in July 2008 and when she came for my baby shower in March 2009) but because I was about to embark upon a cross-country flight with a baby and NO ONE to help me.

Well, I shouldn't have worried, because Collin was a total rockstar. He made friends with all of our seatmates, as well as the entire flight crew on my first flight, from Seattle to Houston, and only cried briefly on the last leg, from Houston to Fort Myers, because he decided to expel two days worth of poo during takeoff. He slept and nursed like a champ. And once we arrived, it was like summer had come back.

October in Seattle isn't cold, per se, but it isn't warm, either. But October in Southwest Florida ... well, it averaged about 101 degrees while I was there -- and there were no complaints from either of us.

Lauren and her family were wonderful hosts and I felt so welcome in their home. They didn't bat an eyelash at my little Whambulance (given how late I go to bed, the time change didn't bug him so much as not having Daddy to sleep against, but he adapted relatively well) and her mom makes the best stuffed grape leaves ever. It was so nice to be able to relax and let someone else be in charge of the vacation, and just kind of float around.

During my six days there, we toured adorable, tiny Matlacha, visited the pier in Naples, where Collin and I stuck our feet in the Gulf of Mexico, ate everything from Mahi Mahi in a macadamia nut cream sauce to key lime ice cream (well, I did; he stuck with formula and breastmilk) and went shopping. I got to hear Lauren sing at church, which I admit made me cry, and meet the nieces and nephew I had heard so much about. It was a real treat to see the everyday life of one of my closest friends, just as she, Kate and Stephanie did when they visited me. (And speaking of, I have still yet to reupholster the dining-room chairs.)

And even more special was that I got to share this journey with Collin. I got to see our trip through his eyes -- the amazement of feeling the sand under his feet and the excitement of going in a pool for the first time. Considering he's somewhat lukewarm about bathtime, I had no idea he would be such a water baby, and it absolutely thrilled me, both as a mother and as a former swimmer. I don't think I had ever seen such genuine thrill.

I am sure that there will be many vacations to come, but this one will always be special.

It was, by far, one of the highlights of my year, and as I sit here writing about it on a cold January night, wearing flannel pajamas and wrapped up in a big fleece blanket, I can't help but wish Superman was real so he could fly me back there.

I'd even settle for something in the low 70s right about now.

2 comments:

  1. Sniff. You make me feel so loved. :) I'm SO glad you came to visit me. It was such a wonderful time, and I loved getting to meet Collin. You are both welcome back anytime...you can even bring Chris along. :D

    I have to tell you though, if you came back right now you wouldn't be getting any low 70s. The high on Saturday is supposed to be in the 40s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... that was great to read! I'm so glad y'all were able to make that trip happen. I hope we can all get together again someday. I think a visit to Houston is in order.. though if you came right now, you'd freeze your butt off. 20 degrees...

    On a side note, the little word verification below that I have to type in to make my post visible says 'dropho'.. Hee hee. I thought that was funny.

    ReplyDelete